- How to follow:
- BBC Radio Manchester, BBC Radio Lancashire; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Wigan defender Jake Buxton is suspended after his red card in Tuesday’s EFL Cup defeat by Oldham.
Midfielder Emyr Huws joined Cardiff on Friday, while ex-Manchester United forward Nick Powell (groin) is likely to miss out again.
Blackburn boss Owen Coyle faces the Latics for the first time since leaving the club in December 2013.
Elliott Bennett (hamstring), Elliott Ward (ankle) and Corry Evans (groin) are all out for Rovers.
Striker Sam Gallagher could makes his debut after joining on loan from Southampton.
BBC Radio Manchester’s Paul Rowley: “Gary Caldwell’s side may have lost their opening fixture and been booted out of the EFL Cup, but the same thing happened last season, and the Latics went on to lift the League One title.
“Meetings with Blackburn tend to be high scoring, with an eight-goal thriller, two sevens and a couple of sixes.
“The return of Owen Coyle provides added spice. His brief tenure three seasons ago wasn’t the most productive, though he did record Wigan’s only victory in Europe, a 3-1 Europa League wIn over Slovenian champions Maribor.”
BBC Radio Lancashire’s Andy Bayes: “Tuesday’s victory over Mansfield was a confidence booster after the desperately disappointing start against Norwich last weekend.
“Anthony Stokes has hit the ground running with three goals in one and a half games and showed promising signs of a partnership starting with Danny Graham.
“Sam Gallagher is another addition to come in to the squad this weekend, I’d expect him to be on the bench.
“Rovers haven’t won at Wigan since New Years Day in 2007 and Owen Coyle would be delighted to end that eight-game sequence against his old club.”
- Wigan are unbeaten in seven games at the DW Stadium against Blackburn, winning four and drawing three.
- Blackburn’s nine away league games at Wigan have produced 37 goals (18 for, 19 against), an average of 4.1 per game.
- Blackburn have seen red cards in two of their last three visits to the DW Stadium – Grant Hanley was sent off in October 2013 while David Dunn received a red in November 2011.
- Wigan were the first team in the Championship to lose a league game from a winning position after scoring the first goal; going down 2-1 at Bristol City last time out.
- Blackburn conceded four goals on the opening day of the season for the first time since the 1990-91 season.