West Bromwich Albion 3-2 Crystal Palace

West Brom survived a second-half fightback from Crystal Palace to secure a 3-2 win at the Hawthorns on Saturday evening.

Match Reports: West Bromwich Albion 3-2 Crystal PalaceMatch Reports: West Bromwich Albion 3-2 Crystal Palace

The Baggies looked on course for a comfortable Premier League win when goals from Craig Gardner, Craig Dawson and Saido Berahino gave them a commanding 3-0 half-time lead.

However, Palace came out looking like a different team after the break but they fell short of a memorable comeback, despite Connor Wickham grabbing a brace.

The win sees Albion climb to 13th position on 35 points, just above Palace who sit below them three points further back.

West Brom went ahead with the first meaningful attack of the game in the 12th minute when Salomon Rondon collected a return pass from Berahino down the right side of the area and hit a shot towards the far corner ,which Wayne Hennessey could only parry to Gardner who scored from close range.

It was 2-0 on 20 minutes when Gardner turned provider with a free-kick from the right which was met by the head of Dawson, who powered his effort beyond Hennessey.

West Brom continued to dominate and they extended their lead on 31 minutes when Stephane Sessegnon’s perfectly weighted ball from the right dropped to Berahino who coolly hit a first-time left-foot volley past Hennessey in the middle of the area.

There was a sour note for Albion towards the end of the first half when Chris Brunt was stretchered off after picking up a knee injury.

In stoppage time Gardner went close to adding his second of the game when he a hit a 30-yard free-kick which deflected off Joel Ward and bounced off the upright.

Palace almost got a foothold in the game before the half-time whistle with Jordon Mutch seeing his effort blocked close to the West Brom goalline by Claudio Yacob before being cleared.

Palace started the second half well and were rewarded on 48 minutes when Jonas Olsson tried to let a long ball run through to Ben Foster, but Wickham took advantage as he got between the pair and lifted the ball over the advancing keeper before firing into the empty net.

Palace should have had a penalty moments later when Gareth McAuley clearly barged into the back of Scott Dann in the area, but it went unnoticed by the referee.

Albion responded and almost restored their three-goal cushion on 51 minutes when Berahino curled a wonderful effort off the crossbar from the left edge of the area.

The game looked to be petering out until Wickham gave Palace real hope of salvaging a point in the 80th minute when Mutch’s cross into the area was knocked down to him by McAuley’s attempted clearance and he fired a stunning half-volley into the far top corner.

The comeback was almost complete in the 84th minute when Dann got up to meet Mutch’s corner but his powerful header was kicked off the line by Gardner.

However, West Brom saw out five minutes of stoppage time to seal the three points.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *