LENS, France — Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal still plan on spending “big money” this transfer window, if he can find the right player.
The Gunners have only made one major signing so far this summer by bringing in Granit Xhaka in a deal worth around £30 million, and Wenger is still searching for that elusive top-quality striker to strengthen his attack.
But while Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis told ESPN FC in an interview that the transfer window should not be seen as biggest key to the club’s success, Wenger reassured fans that he is still looking to bring in reinforcements.
“I am sure my chief executive didn’t want to dampen the expectations on that front,” Wenger said after Arsenal’s 1-1 draw at RC Lens in a preseason game on Friday. “We are very active, and if we find the right candidates we will spend big money. We have already spent big.”
Wenger has been linked with a handful of top strikers in this transfer window — including Gonzalo Higuain, Alexandre Lacazette and Mauro Icardi — but said he would not discuss any names he’s interested in.
However the Frenchman, who has become known for making late deals in the window, hinted that the club’s dealings could drag out into August this time as well.
“It’s not over. Today we are in July, and the transfer market finishes on the 31st of August. We know as well that a lot happens many times in the last week,” Wenger said. “It’s a long time to go, but we are active. We are working.”