Sean Dyche has played down speculation linking him with the Aston Villa job and insisted he is focused on Burnley’s promotion bid.
The Clarets boss has been flagged up as one of the experienced Championship managers who the Villa board have identified as a potential replacement for Remi Garde after he departed the club on Tuesday night after five months at the helm.
Dyche guided Burnley to promotion in 2013-14 and, while he failed to keep the Turf Moor outfit in the top flight last term, he is firmly on course to secure an immediate return this term.
It s thought Villa would like him, David Moyes or Nigel Pearson to take over and mastermind a promotion push next term with relegation now a virtual certainty, but the 44-year-old has played down speculation linking him with the post.
Dyche told his press conference on Thursday afternoon: “It’s one of them situations. IÂ’ve had a few over the last year or so.
“I donÂ’t take it lightly, itÂ’s a paper story. We know how that can work.
“We’re making a good fist of what we can achieve here, thatÂ’s my focus, it’s the team’s focus, we want to get Burnley in the Premier League.
“There’s a lot of things said, a lot of angles, a lot of connections over nothing. My focus is here.”