Aston Villa chairman Keith Wyness insisted the club will hand Steve Bruce funds for promotion despite spending B£50million in the summer.
Ex-Birmingham boss Bruce has signed a rolling contract at the club to become Villa’s sixth manager since Tim Sherwood was appointed in February 2015.
Villa’s net spend in the summer was B£34million, including buying B£12million Ross McCormack from Fulham and signing Jonathan Kodjia from Bristol City in a deal which will eventually rise to B£15million.
They have seen little value for money but Wyness promised the club would spend in January if they need to.
“We are always open to looking at tweaking the squad,” he said. “Steve has already said himself this is probably the best squad he has ever taken over.
“There’s nothing massively wrong with the squad but would we spend again in January? Absolutely.
“It’s all about staying up in the Premier League but every season in the Championship, promotion is the target. Hopefully it will be just for this season.
“It’s going to be difficult but there’s still a long way to go. Until it’s mathematically impossible we will look to finish in the top two.”
Villa have won just four of their last 51 league games after dropping out of the Premier League last season and winning just one of their opening 11 league matches this term.
But Wyness also said making an instant return to the top flight was their main aim, despite being 15 points behind early leaders Huddersfield.
“It’s absolutely the priority, it’s the priority every season we’re in the Championship. Hopefully just this one but it’s very much the priority,” he said.
Villa host Wolves in Bruce’s first game in charge on Saturday with the club 19th in the Sky Bet Championship, a dismal start which cost Roberto Di Matteo his job last week.
Bruce has already dismissed fears over his Birmingham links, having played for and managed Villa’s city rivals, and insisted his new club was a massive draw.
“I’m very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to manage a club of this stature and size,” he said.
“Yes, it’s not had the best of times and I suppose a bit like Rafa (Benitez) at Newcastle, he’s excited at the challenge of turning the club around and trying to get back on track
“If it does get back, with the owner’s plans, I hope I’m around long enough to be involved.”