Jose Mourinho has refused to comment on Manchester United’s pursuit of Paul Pogba but confirmed he wants to sign one more player.
United have been heavily linked with a world record move for the Juventus and France midfielder, who left Old Trafford on a free transfer four years ago, for much of the summer.
Reports last week claimed a deal was close to completion but no announcements have been forthcoming and the situation is yet to be resolved.
Asked about the situation prior to his captain Wayne Rooney’s testimonial against Everton on Wednesday, Mourinho told BT Sport: “We are going to sign one more player for sure. I don’t want to speak about Paul (Pogba) because he is a Juventus player and I don’t like other managers to speak about my players. I don’t speak about their players.
“But the reality is we are going to sign one more player. The market closes, as you know, August 31 so we have plenty of time to do that, but I’d like to do it before the Premier League starts.”
United face Leicester in the Community Shield on Sunday before travelling to Bournemouth for their Premier League opener the following week.
Mourinho has overseen the signings of Eric Bailly, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Zlatan Ibrahimovic since being appointed earlier in the summer and has consistently said he wanted to bring in a fourth player.
United are reportedly ready to pay £100million to bring Pogba back to Old Trafford.