Each week, a leading musician takes our Starting XI Q&A. This week, it’s Ross McNae from Twin Atlantic, who supports Celtic… and has an allegiance to Manchester City, too!
1. You’re on a desert island and can have one album with you and one item of football memorabilia – what do you take?
I would take Tame Impala’s ‘Currents’. It doesn’t get old and it fits the mood perfectly. Their home is Australia which is pretty much a desert island, right?
2. Number one song or your club top of the league?
Number one song. Celtic and Manchester City are both top of their leagues and I watch every game they both play so may as well not trade in the number one.
3. Which football manager do you think would make the best music artist?
I think Jurgen Klopp would make a pretty solid heavy metal singer.
4. Would you rather record a Bond theme or the World Cup’s official song?
World Cup’s official song. Actually, James Bond. Wait, I don’t know. How can you ask me to pick?
5. Which footballer would you record a song with?
Leighton Baines. It feels like he should be in the music industry. He has the haircut, and we all know that’s all you really need.
6. What was the first single you bought?
Placebo’s ‘Nancy Boy’ or Daft Punk’s ‘Da Funk’. Both bought on the same trip to the local record shop with my dad when I was a wee dude.
7. And what was the first football match you went to?
I want to say it was Celtic versus Dundee United or Aberdeen, and it was at Hampden when Celtic spent time there while Parkhead was being refurbished. That was the couple of seasons when I was just coming into the age of being able to actually go to the games and we went to most of them for the next few seasons.
8. Who is your music idol?
I don’t really have one. People don’t believe me but I don’t really think having an idol is healthy. I’ve always liked loads of different bands and artists and obsessed over music as a whole rather than one particular person. Maybe I secretly love myself too much to be able to allow another musical love into my life, or more probably it’s just because I’m realistic and know that people are just people under their clothes.
9. And who’s your all-time favourite footballer?
10. You’re in charge of your club’s match day music: what song is a must-have on the stadium playlist?
For football it’s anything by Kasabian. Probably ‘Fire’.
11. What’s the greatest moment you’ve experienced as a football fan?
Celtic beating Barcelona in the Champions League group stages at Parkhead three years ago. Victor Wanyama scored the opener and then teenager Tony Watt came off the bench to score the second. Unbelievable.
12. If your club could sign any player in the world TODAY, who would you want that to be?
There was improbable talk of Celtic signing Bastian Schweinsteiger. Manchester City have the best team on the planet and I actually don’t know at this point who would make it better.
Twin Atlantic’s new album ‘GLA’ is out now