Transfer rumours and paper review – Wednesday, August 24: Liverpool linked with shock Real Madrid raid, Tottenham and Newcastle to swap midfielders?

24 Aug

Here are the top transfer-related stories in Wednesday’s newspapers…


Tottenham are considering using Nabil Bentaleb as a makeweight in their attempts to land Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko. Newcastle want a fee in excess of £30m for Sissoko, but Spurs hope to negotiate a deal using Bentaleb. (Daily Mirror)

Tottenham’s £22million forward Son Heung-Min is a target for Wolfsburg. The German club want to take the 24-year-old back to the Bundesliga just a year after he moved to England from Bayer Leverkusen. Son signed a five-year deal last summer and made 40 appearances for Spurs last season but the north Londoners are understood to be ready to listen to offers for him. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle, meanwhile, are closing in on a £2million deal for Brentford midfielder Alan Judge and have opened talks with Wolfsburg striker Bas Dost. (Daily Mirror)

Watford have had a £7.5million move for Newcastle United right-back Daryl Janmaat accepted. The Championship side have already lined up Tottenham’s DeAndre Yedlin as his replacement with talks expected to accelerate over the next 24 hours. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United are willing to wait until deadline day to complete a deal for Southampton defender Jose Fonte. (Manchester Evening News)

Phil Jones is content to stay at Manchester United, and José Mourinho has no desire to see him leave, despite Stoke City being the latest club to express an interest. (Guardian)

Joe Hart has been left furious at his treatment by Manchester City, with the England goalkeeper now facing a race against time to find a new club. Hart would be open to a move abroad if he can be assured of first-team football. (Daily Mail)

Shkodran Mustafi will not be allowed to join Arsenal this summer, according to the Valencia head coach Pako Ayestaran. The Germany international, whose contract contains a €50m (£43m) release clause, has been targeted by Arsène Wenger as he looks to add defensive reinforcements to his squad. Ayestaran, however, does not expect that the 24-year-old centre-back to leave Mestalla during the current transfer window. (Independent)

Chelsea are preparing to make a £34million offer for AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli. The Stamford Bridge club made enquiries on Monday but despite being told he was not for sale are willing to offer £30m plus another £4m in add-ons for the young centre-back. (Daily Mail)

Liverpool have joined the race to sign Real Madrid star James Rodriguez. The £50m-rated Colombia international has been heavily linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu this summer, and the Reds have made their interest in the 25-year-old known to the La Liga giants. (Daily Star)

Everton manager Ronald Koeman has made a £1.25million move for Southampton right back Cuco Martina. (Daily Mail)

David Moyes has told unsettled defender Lamine Kone he will not be joining Everton because Sunderland cannot attract players good enough to replace him. (Daily Mail)

Mike Phelan wants Aston Villa outcast Micah Richards as his first signing for Hull. Caretaker-boss Phelan needs to bolster a threadbare squad that is down to 13 fit senior players and he has been given the go-ahead to snap-up Richards on a season-long loan. (Daily Mirror)

West Brom are lining up a £7m bid to land Leeds full-back Charlie Taylor. (Daily Star)

Bolton Wanderers’ promising opening to the season could be undermined by the loss of key midfielder Jay Spearing. Enquiries for Spearing, 27, have been made by Championship trio Blackburn Rovers, Cardiff City and Brighton and Hove Albion. (Daily Mail)

Queens Park Rangers are exploring a shock move for former Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner. The Denmark striker is a free agent following his release from German club Wolfsburg earlier this year. (Daily Mail)

Gareth Bale will cement his position as one of the top players in the world with a bumper new £375,000-a-week contract. He will sign the two-year extension to his Real Madrid deal that will tie him to the Spanish giants until 2021. (Daily Mirror)

And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…​

Manchester City transfer news: Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo arrives in England ahead of move

Transfer news: Seven players we’d love to see move to the Premier League including Griezmann and Rodriguez

Juventus deal for Blaise Matuidi in doubt – Chelsea or Manchester United to pounce?

Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea and Manchester City all keen on veteran Swiss defender Stephan Lichtsteiner

Juventus and Inter Milan leading race for Man United and Leicester target Gabriel Barbosa

Everton FC transfer news: Blow for Ronald Koeman as Lyon star snubs £9.4m move to Merseyside

Everton FC transfer report: Napoli striker Manolo Gabbiadini targeted by Toffees in £25m deal

SNUBBED! Italian club Sassuolo reject chance to sign Liverpool misfit Mario Balotelli

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No comments yet

Leave a Reply