Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 Gillingham

Tottenham eased their way into the fourth round of the EFL Cup with a comprehensive 5-0 victory over Gillingham at White Hart Lane.

Match Reports: Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 GillinghamMatch Reports: Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 Gillingham

Spurs started the match in impressive fashion with Christian Eriksen, Vincent Janssen and Erik Lamela all going close in the opening stages.

Gillingham goalkeeper Jonathan Bond appeared to be in for a busy evening, but he was forced off after just 15 minutes due to an injury, with Stuart Nelson coming on in his place.

The League One side then had a half opportunity themselves when Jay Emmanuel-Thomas headed just wide from a Ryan Jackson long-throw, but that was a rare foray forward for the Gills, as Spurs continued to dominate.

The hosts finally broke the deadlock on 31 minutes when Eriksen fired home from fully 25 yards, giving Nelson little chance in the Gillingham goal.

That’s how it remained until half-time, but after the restart Spurs put the tie to bed with two quick-fire goals.

Firstly Eriksen got his second of the game on 48 minutes, finishing off in neat fashion after a great driving run and pass from Lamela.

Janssen then got his first Tottenham goal on 51 minutes, converting a penalty after Kieran Trippier was fouled in the box by Adedeji Oshilaja.

Spurs continued to show their Premier League quality during the rest of the half and it was soon 4-0, as the impressive Joshua Onomah converted in clinical fashion, after being teed up by Lamela.

Lamela himself then got in on the act, firing home left footed to make it 5-0 with a quarter of the match still to play.

Spurs appeared to take their foot off the gas late on however, and neither side really created an opportunity of note during the closing stages.

Tottenham will now face Liverpool in round four, while Gillingham will have to turn their attention back to league action.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *