West Brom manager Tony Pulis has suggested there is to be another twist in the Saido Berahino transfer saga, with the young striker’s future to be decided in ‘the next 48 hours’.
Stoke and Crystal Palace have both made moves for the 23-year-old this summer, but bids submitted by the Premier League clubs have so far been rejected.
However, there is a belief that the young striker is still set to leave the Hawthorns before the transfer window closes next week, with Pulis seemingly not keen on him.
In the 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough on Sunday, the manager left Berahino on the bench until the second half, and opted to send on 17-year-old Jonathan Leko ahead of him.
This unwillingness to play Berahino means transfer speculation will not go away, and Pulis claimed after the match that the striker’s future will be decided in the coming days.
Speaking to the media, the 58-year-old Welshman said: “That’s going to be another topic of conversation over the next few days. We’ll see in the next 48 hours hopefully.”
Despite Berahino seemingly on the verge of an exit, Pulis actually wants to increase the size of his squad.
He has signed just two players this summer, Matt Phillips from QPR and Everton loanee Brendan Galloway, and after the Baggies were jeered off at the Hawthorns, Pulis insisted everyone at the club understands the need for new signings.
He said: “There’s no problems with the boardroom, they know my feelings. They don’t need people to boo to know my feelings.
“We have to bring some players in. Two years ago when I came in they were struggling at the foot of the table and 14 or 15 of the players are still here.
“They have kept going and finished 12th and 14th but we need new blood. We need to get some players in, hopefully over the next few days that’ll happen. “