LONDON — John Terry has been offered a one-year contract extension to stay at Chelsea, the club have confirmed.
Speaking ahead of interim manager Guus Hiddink’s final Friday news conference at Cobham, a Chelsea spokesperson announced that Terry and his agent met with director Marina Granovskaia and chairman Bruce Buck for talks over his future this week, and a new 12-month deal was offered.
Terry revealed in January that he expected to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season after being told that no offer of an extension was forthcoming, though the club subsequently insisted that “channels of dialogue” would remain open with their captain.
Chelsea supporters have repeatedly protested against their club’s treatment of Terry in recent weeks, holding up banners and chanting “sign him up” during Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield.
“Marina Granovskaia and Bruce Buck met with John and his agent this week and offered him a one-year contract extension,” the spokesperson said.
“With it coming so late in the season, this is a big decision for John and his family and it is something that they are now considering.”
Terry, who is suspended for the visit of Leicester City on Sunday after receiving his second red card of the campaign against Sunderland, is now weighing up Chelsea’s offer and it is unclear whether he will make a decision before the end of the season.
Guus Hiddink, who will be replaced as manager by Antonio Conte this summer, said at his news conference on Friday: “I talk to the people inside [the club] every now and then.
“I’m always in favour, generally speaking, that players, ex-players — I’m not talking about John now — have a lot of influence in the culture of a club. When the players say goodbye to a club they love and come back, in whatever task, I’m in favour. Maybe that’s also for John in the future. I don’t know.
“He is already 21 years in this club. I saw an image of him recently coming in as a youngster. It’s huge, 21 years. That’s why they become legends. You must cherish those legends for the future as well.”
It has been reported that he has been offered significantly reduced terms, but the 35-year-old has repeatedly voiced his preference to stay at Stamford Bridge.
He told Brondby’s TV channel earlier this week: “I still want to play for a couple more years, hopefully that’s at Chelsea. I’m a Chelsea player and that has been my club since the age of 14. I love Chelsea.”
Terry has also been linked with a switch to the United States this summer, but a Major League Soccer source told ESPN FC this week that he would not be able to command a Designated Player contract if he moves this summer.
Terry has made 703 first-team appearances and won 14 major trophies for the Blues.