Rafa Benitez close to agreeing Newcastle United stay – reports

Rafael Benitez is set to commit his future to Newcastle United for next season, according to reports. 

The Magpies were relegated to the Championship last week and the Spanish boss, who replaced Steve McClaren in March, has been weighing up his next move. 

It is widely believed there is a break clause in the three-year contract signed by the former Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid boss but United chiefs are confident of keeping him in the hotseat. 

Talks have taken place between the 56-year-old and the Newcastle hierarchy after they bowed out of the top tier with an impressive 5-1 victory over Tottenham at St James’ Park.

Some reports suggest he could even earn up to £5million-a-year if he stays on Tyneside. 

Alternatively, Benitez – who took over Real Madrid last summer – could still be tempted with a move elsewhere, with former club Valencia and the Reds’ Merseyside rivals Everton linked.

READ MORE: Rafael Benitez: ‘It will not be easy to leave a club like Newcastle United’

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

‘Mistake entirely mine’ – Security firm boss shoulders blame after Manchester United’s Old Trafford bomb scare

The head of the firm which left a dummy bomb at Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium said he took full responsibility for the blunder which led to thousands of people being evacuated from the ground.

Chris Reid, the managing director of Security Search Management & Solutions Ltd, said he shoulders the blame for the fake explosive which sparked Sunday’s security alert and forced the postponement of the club’s Premier League game against Bournemouth.

The dummy bomb, initially described by police as an ‘incredibly lifelike explosive device’, was left behind after a training exercise last week.

Speaking outside his home in Biggin Hill, south-east London, an emotional Reid – a retired Scotland Yard police officer – said: “This mistake is entirely mine.

“I have to take full responsibility for leaving a training item behind on Wednesday.”

Reid said the device had been left on a hook behind a door of a men’s toilet cubicle and ‘was not concealed in any other way’. 

He added: ”I am absolutely devastated that a lapse in my working protocols has resulted in many people being disappointed, frightened and inconvenienced. Nothing I can say will rectify that.”

Security Search Management & Solutions Ltd was hired by Deacons Canines to carry out practical training exercises at the stadium last week. 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

‘Poor Michael Owen – he played in the wrong era and only has £50m in the bank!’

Michael Owen’s time as a pundit and co-commentator has been far from popular with the majority of viewers.

The former Liverpool forward has been the butt of many jokes with calls for his removal from the commentary box coming after almost every game.

One particular comment from Owen that riled social media users was his assertion that he was ‘born in the wrong era’ following reports that Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants £600,000-a-week when he leaves Paris Saint-Germain in the summer.

Owen was on approximately £110,000-a-week when Newcastle were relegated as well as playing for some of the world’s richest clubs in Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid.

His net worth just reportedly just shy of £50m, which caused many Twitter users to call out Owen on his comments.

See the best reaction to ex-England striker’s latest commentary gaff!

 

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail