Stoke manager Mark Hughes expects Glenn Whelan to be available despite suffering a broken nose on Saturday.
Marc Muniesa could return from injury but Ryan Shawcross, Glen Johnson and Mark Wilson remain absent.
Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini and Aleksandar Mitrovic are back in training after injuries and could play.
Paul Dummett, Vurnon Anita and Siem de Jong all return after spells on the sidelines, but Chancel Mbemba could miss out again with an ankle problem.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Steve Bower: “Newcastle have had 18 days to analyse and reflect on their current predicament and to prepare for a huge few months ahead.
“Since their mauling at Stamford Bridge, they’ve had some sunshine training in Spain; now some sort of run of consistency has to start at the Britannia Stadium.
“They cannot afford any more days where their effort and commitment is questioned.
“Some weeks ago, this fixture might have looked a little more straightforward for Steve McClaren’s team.
“There was a concern when Stoke lost three league games in a row and went out of both cup competitions, but they have responded with back-to-back wins and will be keen to continue that form and add to Newcastle’s problems.”
WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Stoke manager Mark Hughes on Newcastle having a 18-day break: “It might take them a little bit of time to get going or they may be really refreshed and raring to go, we just don’t know.
“We have always seemed to reap the benefits of a break away, so we will see how they shape up.
“It will be a test for us because Newcastle are fighting for their lives, and looking at their squad you sometimes wonder how and why they are where they are.”
Stoke are going well – previously they struggled a bit for goals but on a good day they have now got more than one match-winner, which makes a big difference.
This is not the game Newcastle need right now and I just do not fancy their chances at the Britannia Stadium.
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- Stoke are unbeaten in the last four league meetings (W2, D2).
- They have won four of their last five home league games against the Magpies (L1).
- Stoke are aiming for a third straight league win for the second time during this campaign.
- The Potters have 39 points after 27 games – exactly the same number they had at this stage last season.
- Only Leicester (eight) have scored more Premier League penalties than Stoke this season (five).
- Marko Arnautovic has scored six goals in his last eight Premier League appearances at the Britannia Stadium.
- Newcastle have lost 16 of their last 20 league away games (W2, D2), including the last five in a row.
- Only Aston Villa (six) have won fewer points away from home in the Premier League this season than the Magpies (seven).
- Steve McClaren’s side have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 league matches.
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by Professor Ian McHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.