Xherdan Shaqiri is a doubt for Stoke’s game against Manchester City because of a calf problem.
Marko Arnautovic has overcome a thigh injury, but Jack Butland and Glen Johnson have been ruled out.
Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi played against Steaua Bucharest in midweek and could make his first league appearance of the season.
Summer signing Leroy Sane is still not fit, while Yaya Toure has yet to feature this season.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Alistair Mann: “In many ways it will be Manchester City’s away performances which will define how different they’ve become under Pep Guardiola, and with domestic trips to Stoke, Manchester United, Swansea and Spurs in the next six weeks we won’t have to wait long to find out.
“Though imperious in Bucharest on Tuesday, these games will reveal a great deal more.
“Since Stoke’s promotion in 2008, Manchester City have won only once in the Potteries and while they may have been physically outfought in the first few meetings, they were simply outclassed in a 2-0 reverse there last season.
“Mark Hughes’ Stoke are a footballing side these days and they will relish the opportunity to try and outplay their visitors once again this weekend.”
WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Stoke manager Mark Hughes on his search for new signings: “We’re looking to improve the group. There’s not many at the level we think can improve the strikers we’ve got.
“It’s a small pool of players that we’re dealing with and we’re shopping in a different market. The players that may be available, a lot of other teams at our level and above our level are interested.”
I remember the Potters won easily in this fixture last season and this is a hard one to call, but I think Pep’s presence will see his team get the points, just.
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- Stoke have beaten Manchester City in each of the last two seasons, having previously gone 10 matches without a victory (D5, L5).
- Five of the last seven Premier League meetings between these sides in Stoke have ended in a draw, with one win apiece.
- Stoke have failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 11 league games. They have conceded 37 Premier League goals in 2016 – more than any other side currently in the top flight.
- Their only win in the last five home matches came against West Ham on the final day of the 2015-16 season.
- Mark Hughes has lost six of his 10 Premier League games against Manchester City since he was sacked as their manager. However, his two wins have both come in the last two seasons.
- Peter Crouch has scored in three of his four Premier League appearances against Manchester City at the bet365 Stadium.
- City have only won four of their last 16 Premier League away games (W4, D7, L5). Eight clubs have earned more points on their travels during the same period.
- Pep Guardiola’s side had 77% ball possession against Sunderland last week, the most by any team in the opening round of matches.
- Sergio Aguero is the Premier League’s top scorer in 2016 with 18 goals in 19 appearances. He has scored six league goals in as many games against Stoke.
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.