Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho says he always knew he “had done nothing wrong” after being cleared of failing a drugs test.
UEFA’s Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Committee announced on Friday the case against the France international for a failed drugs test after taking a fat-burning substance in March had been dropped.
“Following a hearing with the lawyers of the player and experts of the WADA-accredited laboratories on this case, the CEDB has decided to dismiss the case,” said a UEFA statement.
Sakho, whose interim 30-day ban cost him the chance to play in the Europa League final for the Reds and represent France at Euro 2016, is now free to play again.
“I am happy that this is finally over. It’s been a difficult time for me but I knew I had done nothing wrong,” said the defender, who it is believed will now consider taking legal action.
“I am looking forward to getting back in the team and playing again.”
Liverpool also issued a statement, which read: “Liverpool Football Club welcomes today’s decision from UEFA to dismiss the case against Mamadou Sakho, confirming that he did not commit any doping violation.
“We are pleased for Mamadou that he can now resume his playing career.”