Tony Pulis hopes Saido Berahino will sign a new contract at West Brom amid ongoing speculation over the striker’s future.
Berahino has one more season left on his deal at The Hawthorns and he will again inevitably be linked with a move away in the upcoming summer transfer window.
Berahino threatened to go on strike after failing to force through a move to Tottenham last summer, while Newcastle had a Â£21million bid for the 22-year-old turned down in January.
Pulis said earlier this season he did not begrudge Berahino wanting to play for a top team but has not given up hope of holding onto the striker.
“I’d like him to sign a new contract if he could, but whether we’ll get that or not, we’ll have to wait and see,” said the Baggies boss.
Pulis stressed that it was his own opinion and that he had not discussed the matter with chairman Jeremy Peace.
Berahino has the chance to show Tottenham what they missed out on when the Baggies travel to White Hart Lane on Monday.
Asked if he expected Spurs to come back with another offer this summer, Pulis said: “I don’t know. I haven’t got a clue. I wouldn’t second guess anything, I don’t think it’s right for me to second guess, but I’m sure if they do then they’ll get the same response from Jeremy.
“It’s got to be the right deal. If it’s the right deal for the football club, he’ll speak to the board. And he’ll be the sole person who’ll decide that.”
Berahino has undoubtedly been affected by the situation this season, starting only 16 games in the Premier League and scoring four goals.
Relations with the club have improved of late and he has been more of an influence on the pitch, but his turbulent season experienced another dip last weekend when he missed two penalties in a 1-0 defeat by Watford.
Berahino will stay on penalty duty for Thursday’s Premier League clash with Arsenal, and Pulis has urged him to finish the campaign on a high.
“I think the important thing is that Saido works hard for the remaining five games, then speak to the chairman and other clubs who are interested,” added the Welshman.
“That is the situation with Saido and it has always been the same. The kid is under contract next year again, so as far as I can gauge that is the situation now, as it was a year ago and 18 months ago, and it won’t change until the chairman feels it’s the right move for the football club and the kid.”