Marlos Moreno’s move to Manchester City appears to have been confirmed by Colombia’s Olympic team coach.

Atletico Nacional forward Moreno had been expected to be part of the Colombia squad for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in August, but coach Carlos Restrepo said on Thursday that the 19-year-old was set to complete a move to City and would not be given permission to play in the tournament.

“Marlos is going to Manchester and Manchester will not let him play,” he told a news conference.

City have not confirmed a transfer although they have reportedly agreed an £8.23 million deal with his club.

Atletico coach Reinaldo Rueda has said that Moreno and other players will remain at the club until after the Copa Libertadores. His side face Ecuador’s Independiente del Valle in a two-legged final later this month.

Moreno was linked with a number of big European clubs including Barcelona, Manchester United, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon.

He has already won seven caps for Colombia and was a half-time substitute in his country’s Copa America Centenario semifinal defeat to Chile in June.

Moreno is expected to be sent out on loan to gain experience, with La Liga club Deportivo La Coruna a possible destination.

City also refused to allow Nigeria striker Kelechi Iheanacho to play in Brazil next month. Unlike at previous tournaments, clubs are not obliged to release players to take part.