Misconduct charge for Stoke boss Hughes

13 Sep

Mark Hughes


Hughes was sent to the stands in the 34th minute of Stoke’s home game against Spurs

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association.

Hughes, 52, was sent to the stands during the first half of Stoke’s 4-0 loss to Tottenham on Saturday.

The Welshman reacted angrily on the touchline after two separate incidents, prompting referee Anthony Taylor to take action.

The FA said “his behaviour amounted to improper conduct” and he has until 18:00 BST on Friday to respond.

Defeat for the Potters, their third consecutive loss in the Premier League, kept them bottom of the table.

Hughes’ outburst, some of it directed at the fourth official Jon Moss, came shortly before Spurs’ 41st-minute opener, after a booking for Marko Arnautovic for diving and what he thought was a foul on Jon Walters.

The former Manchester United striker said after the game he was “disappointed” by the decisions and by his own reaction but added: “I don’t think my departure had an effect on my team’s performance.

“There were two decisions I thought should have gone our way so I reacted in a forceful manner. When you come out of your technical arena, it’s not allowed, sometimes you forget that.

“Mr Moss, bless him, decided that warranted a sending off, which, by the letter of the law it did, so I have to hold my hands up.”

Stoke’s only point of the season so far came on the opening day when they drew 1-1 against Middlesbrough at the Riverside.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No comments yet

Leave a Reply