England defender Chris Smalling was taken to hospital in Bali after fainting due to food poisoning, Manchester United have announced.
The club report the 26-year-old is now “feeling fine” following the bout of sickness.
United issued a statement in response to reports from abroad claiming Smalling had been rushed to hospital following a surfing accident.
There was also a photograph claiming to show Smalling on a drip with his head bandaged and neck apparently in a brace. It was suggested Smalling had suffered a heavy fall while surfing.
United’s statement read: “Manchester United can clarify Chris Smalling has had food poisoning during his holiday which resulted in him fainting on Sunday.
“The 26-year-old defender was taken to the hospital and is now feeling fine.
“Smalling is currently on vacation in Bali following his time with England at Euro 2016 before reporting back for pre-season training later this month.
“Chris would like to thank everyone for their well wishes.”
Smalling began his summer holiday last week following England’s elimination from Euro 2016.
Smalling’s management company Wasserman Media Group also moved to quash rumours the incident was anything more serious.
“Following pictures that have been circulating online this morning and contrary to unfounded media speculation we can confirm that Chris was taken to hospital after fainting due to a severe case of food poisoning while on holiday in Bali,” said a statement.
“Chris would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and is now feeling fine.”