The transfer window might be shut, but don’t think the wheeling and dealing won’t continue! Check out all the latest deals here.
Top Story: United, City to do battle for Kroos
Manchester United and Manchester City could go head-to-head for Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos in the January transfer window, with the Germany international wanted by both Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, according to the Manchester Evening News.
The report suggests that Kroos — recognised as one of the top players in world football in his position — has long been linked with both sides, although this would be the first time their rivalry has spilled directly into the transfer market.
The 26-year-old is in his third season with Real Madrid, having joined from Bayern Munich in 2014, but is unlikely to be available on the cheap having started in all but one of Los Blancos‘ eight games so far this season.
Vidal in search of first-team minutes
Aleix Vidal could be set for a shock exit from Barcelona in January after falling out of favour under Luis Enrique, reports Catalan outlet Sport.
The report claims Vidal, who is contracted at the Nou Camp until 2020, is open to a move away from Barca after failing to figure at all since the defeat against Alaves on Sept. 10. However, it is also said the former Sevilla man has fans among the club’s hierarchy who would like to see him restored to the first-team squad.
Should the current standoff continue, with Vidal failing to figure for the Spanish champions in the coming months, then the 27-year-old right-back is said to be set on seeking regular playing time elsewhere.
European giants chase ‘the next Zlatan’
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Bayern Munich have been linked with Alexander Isak, the 17-year-old Swedish forward who has been compared to Zlatan Ibrahimovic by teammate Chinedu Obasi, according to a report in Swedish outlet Sydsvenskan.
But while his club AIK are realistic enough to realise they will not be able to hold on to Isak for too much longer in the face of interest from European giants, they are hopeful of commanding one of the biggest fees in their history, according to sporting director Bjorn Wesstrom.
When asked if they could negotiate a large transfer fee for Isak, Wesstrom is quoted as saying: “Absolutely. Then there is the question of what level you would be looking at. But all that you get to decide when it becomes something tangible.”
– The list of defenders Chelsea missed out on this summer continues to grow, with Argentina international Ezequiel Garay claiming to have rejected a move to Stamford Bridge before joining Valencia from Zenit St Petersburg. The Mirror quotes Garay as saying: “[The offer] from Chelsea emerged a week before I completed the move to Valencia but Valencia had been my choice from the very first moment.”
– West Bromwich Albion will offer Saido Berahino new terms to remain beyond his current contract, which ends next summer. Stoke City and Tottenham Hotspur were linked with Berahino, but the Baggies’ new owners are keen to offer the 23-year-old striker “a fresh start” at the club.
– Santi Cazorla has called on Arsenal to offer him a contract extension and end uncertainty about his future. The 31-year-old Spaniard is into the final year of his contract and was linked with a move to Atletico Madrid, interest he spoke about in a radio interview with Cadena Ser, but he also declared his loyalty to the Gunners and desire to sign a new deal.