Liverpool will be without Jordan Henderson after he suffered a knee injury in the Reds’ Europa League draw at Borussia Dortmund on Thursday.
Emre Can is also missing through suspension, so Joe Allen is expected to come into the side.
Stoke are experiencing a mini injury crisis with Ryan Shawcross, Glenn Whelan, Xherdan Shaqiri and Geoff Cameron all injury doubts.
Jack Butland, Glen Johnson, Marc Wilson and Jon Walters are certain absentees.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Conor McNamara: “I’m writing these notes in Dortmund after commentating on Liverpool’s impressive draw against Jurgen Klopp’s old side.
“Winning the Europa League would be a route into the Champions League for Liverpool and it will be tempting for the German to now focus his resources on that target.
“Klopp has only won three home league games since taking charge six months ago. This quick turnaround won’t be easy against a rested Stoke side that famously beat Liverpool 6-1 last season.
“Stoke have only lost once in their last seven outings but they haven’t won a league game at Anfield since 1959.”
Liverpool and Stoke have had three close games already this season, including the Capital One Cup semi-finals.
I think this will be also be very tight, but I am backing Liverpool to win it.
Lawro’s full predictions v jockey Leighton Aspell
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- Stoke have won just three times at Anfield in 60 league attempts – none of them in the top flight.
- The Potters’ last league win at Liverpool was in 1959, since then the Reds have won 26 of the subsequent 30 league matches (D4).
- Stoke did, however, win 1-0 at Anfield in the second leg of the League Cup semi-final in January.
- The last four league games between the sides have produced 17 goals – 4.25 goal per game on average.
- Liverpool have won only three of 10 league games at Anfield under Jurgen Klopp’s management (D5, L2).
- Klopp’s side have scored 16 goals in their last six league games.
- They have won only one league match directly after a European fixture this season (D4, L2).
- Liverpool have dropped a league-high 17 points from winning positions – 13 of those have come since Klopp took charge.
- Matches involving Liverpool have produced a league-high 43 goals in 2016.
- Stoke have lost only one of their last seven league matches (W4, D2).
- They have kept just one clean sheet in their last 10 league games.
- Stoke have only won four of 14 matches against fellow top-half sides.
- Top scorer Marko Arnautovic has been involved in 15 goals for the Potters – 10 goals and five assists.
- Mark Hughes is yet to win a league match at Anfield in nine previous attempts (D4, L5).
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by Professor Ian McHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.