Liverpool striker Divock Origi is expected to miss the rest of the season after suffering ankle ligament damage in the midweek win over Everton.
Martin Skrtel is doubtful with a groin injury, while Christian Benteke is nearing a return after a knee problem.
Newcastle right-back Daryl Janmaat is out with a groin injury so Vurnon Anita should continue in his place.
Fabricio Coloccini is likely to miss out again with a groin problem, but Kevin Mbabu could return from injury.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Simon Brotherton: “Rafa Benitez returns to Anfield for only the second time since managing Liverpool, desperate for points in the fight to avoid relegation.
“His only other visit was with Chelsea three years ago in an eventful 2-2 draw in which Luis Suarez infamously took a bite out of Branislav Ivanovic.
“It’s been a good week for Benitez’s team with a win over Swansea followed by a useful point at home to Manchester City, but this one looks a tall order.
“Liverpool are flying after putting four past Everton, and they have scored 12 goals in their last three home games.
“If Newcastle get anything here, it will bring to an end a run of nine straight defeats away from home and give them their first point on the road in 2016.”
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has had two decent results in the past week – a win over Swansea and a draw with Manchester City.
I don’t see them getting much of the ball on Saturday, the way Liverpool are playing. The Reds are on a roll at the moment.
Benitez will get a good reception of course, but I think that is all he will get.
Lawro’s full predictions v world heavyweight champion boxer Anthony Joshua
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- It is 22 years since Newcastle’s last league win at Anfield – a 2-0 triumph on Kevin Keegan’s first return to the ground as a manager on 16 April 1994.
- Liverpool’s unbeaten home run in this fixture stretches to 20 league games (W17, D3).
- The Magpies have had six players sent off in their last seven Premier League games against the Reds, including four in the last three trips to Anfield.
- Liverpool have won back-to-back Premier League games at Anfield for the first time since May 2015.
- Jurgen Klopp’s side are unbeaten in their last five league matches at home (W3, D2) and have only lost one of the last nine.
- James Milner has recorded 11 assists in 2016 in all competitions, three more than any other Premier League player.
- Daniel Sturridge has scored 50 goals in only 87 appearances for Liverpool.
- Newcastle have won just three of their last 30 Premier League away matches (W3, D3, L24), losing the last nine in a row.
- The Magpies are yet to pick up a point on their travels in 2016 – their last came when they won at Tottenham on 13 December.
- Since that match, Newcastle haven’t led in any of their away games.
- The Magpies have conceded three or more goals on 10 different occasions in the Premier League this season, a joint-league high with Aston Villa.
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by Professor Ian McHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.