Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City

Divock Origi scored a brace, while Alberto Moreno and Daniel Sturridge were on target as Liverpool thumped Stoke 4-1 at Anfield.

Match Reports: Liverpool 4-1 Stoke CityMatch Reports: Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City

Jurgen KloppÂ’s side went into the game on the back of their 1-1 draw at Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League on Thursday.

However they showed no signs of fatigue as Moreno put them ahead early on, only for Bojan to level for Mark HughesÂ’ side.

Sturridge put the Reds back in front before the interval and half-time substitute Origi followed on from his goal in Germany with a second-half brace to seal an impressive win.

The three points moves Liverpool above Stoke and into eighth position in the Premier League table.

Stoke started brightly but it was Liverpool who took the lead in the eighth minute.

James Milner took a free kick quickly and played the ball to Moreno who hit a 25-yard strike past Jakob Haugaard.

The Potters eventually recovered and were on level terms after 22 minutes when Xherdan Shaqiri put a free kick into the middle of the Liverpool area and Bojan was given a free header which he directed past Simon Mignolet.

Former Reds striker Peter Crouch thought he had put Stoke ahead on 27 minutes but he was denied by an offside flag, before Sturridge fired an effort just wide at the opposite end a minute later.

But Sturridge was not to be denied a goal as he put Liverpool back in front on 32 minutes with a close-range header after Sheyi Ojo did well down the left before picking him out with a cross to the far post.

Stoke almost levelled for a second time from a set-piece on 39 minutes with Shaqiri again the architect via a free kick but Ryan Shawcross sent his header just wide.

Three minutes later Mignolet did well to parry a stinging effort from Giannelli Imbula wide of goal as Stoke finished the half strongly.

It was Liverpool who grabbed the important fourth goal of the game to open up a two-goal lead five minutes into the second half.

Milner was again the provider as his cross into the Stoke area picked out the unmarked Origi in the six-yard box and he did the rest by guiding his header into the net.

Erik Pieters was fortunate moments later when his attempted clearance rebounded off Roberto Firmino and looped just over his own goal.

Both goalkeepers were then called into action in the space of three minutes as Mignolet did well to tip a Geoff Cameron header over the crossbar, before Haugaard pushed a stinging angled effort from Firmino wide at the other end.

Origi should have grabbed his second of the game on 61 minutes but somehow headed wide when getting on the end of MorenoÂ’s cross from the left.

However he did make it 4-1 just four minutes later as he got the better of full-back Phil Bardsley down the left and hit a cross-shot into the far corner of the net.

That goal killed the game as a contest and Liverpool comfortably saw it out to collect the three points.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *