Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla FC

Sevilla produced an impressive second half comeback to defeat Liverpool 3-1 as they retained their Europa League crown in Basel.

Match Reports: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla FCMatch Reports: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla FC

Jurgen KloppÂ’s Reds dominated the first half at St Jakob-Park and should have been more than just Daniel SturridgeÂ’s goal ahead at the interval.

Liverpool were made to pay for not taking their chances as Sevilla levelled through the prolific French striker Kevin Gameiro early in the second half, before CokeÂ’s brace sealed a third successive Europa League Final win for the Spanish La Liga side and a fifth overall.

Emre Can had the first effort of the night in the eighth minute when he picked up a pass from Nathaniel Clyne and lashed a shot from 20 yards which Sevilla goalkeeper David Soria parried away to his left.

Sturridge went closer in the 10th minute when he got his head to ClyneÂ’s cross from the right at the back post, but was denied a goal when defender Daniel Carrico hacked his effort away from his own line.

On 13 minutes Liverpool had a good shout for a penalty when Carrico appeared to stick out his arm to stop the ball after Roberto Firmino tried to get past him down the right of the area, but the referee waved play on.

Liverpool continued to look a bigger threat and on 24 minutes Adam Lallana picked out the run of Sturridge down the right but Soria raced out to block his angled strike at the front post.

The in-form Gameiro had the first real effort of any note for Sevilla on 32 minutes with an ambitious overhead kick which dropped just wide.

However Liverpool went up the other end and deservedly took the lead on 35 minutes when Philippe Coutinho picked out Sturridge on the left edge of the area and he hit a wonderful strike with the outside of his left foot into the far corner of the net.

Liverpool went for the throat after going in front and Dejan Lovren thought he had headed in a second from a corner, but SturridgeÂ’s decision to take a swing at the ball on its way into the net resulted in the effort being disallowed for offside.

They almost added a second just before half time but Sturridge somehow failed to connect with ClyneÂ’s right-wing cross in front of goal.

Sevilla made a blistering start to the second half and were level within 17 seconds when Mariano burst past Alberto Moreno down the right and put the ball on a plate for Gameiro to score from close range.

Three minutes later Gameiro went through on goal but Kolo Toure got back to make a crucial block tackle as the Frenchman was about to pull the trigger.

Simon Mignolet kept Liverpool on level terms on the hour mark as he brilliantly kept out GameiroÂ’s close-range effort after Steven NÂ’ZonziÂ’s flick-on dropped to him in the middle of the area.

Sevilla did take the lead in the 64th minute after good build-up play involving Vitolo and Ever Banega provided the chance for Coke who fired in a right-foot effort from the edge of the area.

It was 3-1 six minutes later when Coke found himself free down the right of the area after the ball rebounded into his path and, despite the best efforts of Mignolet, his strike found the corner of the net.

The officialÂ’s flag was initially raised but it appeared that the referee gave the goal because the ball hit off a Liverpool player on its way to the Sevilla skipper.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Liverpool as Sevilla eased to their fifth win in this competition in the space of 11 seasons and secured a place in next seasonÂ’s Champions League.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *