- How to follow:
- BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Barnsley’s two-season exile from the Championship ends with an opening day trip to Portman Road.
Tom Bradshaw, George Moncur and Elliot Lee could all make their Tykes debuts, but Angus MacDonald will have to wait after carrying over a suspension from his time with Torquay United.
Everton youngster Conor Grant could make his debut for Ipswich.
Mick McCarthy has doubts over new signing Grant Ward and David McGoldrick, who has a hip problem.
Brett Pitman, Dean Gerken and Adam Webster should all be fit after overcoming injuries during pre-season.
BBC Radio Sheffield’s Jonathan Buchan:
“Promoted Barnsley have been busy over the summer and have continued their mantra of signing young and hungry players for their return to the Championship.
“Walsall front man Tom Bradshaw is the stand out signing after his 20 goals for the Saddlers last term, while George Moncur, Elliott Lee, Angus MacDonald and the loan signing of Liverpool youngster Ryan Kent have bolstered their squad.
“Avoiding the drop is the first aim, but having kept hold of their main stars from last season, they will be hopeful of doing that without any last day drama.”
- The last four league meetings between these sides have ended in draws (1-1 three times and 2-2 once), with Ipswich scoring first and being pegged back on three occasions.
- Barnsley have kept just one clean sheet in their last nine league visits to Portman Road, shipping exactly one goal in each of the last five.
- Ipswich have suffered an opening day defeat only once in the last six seasons, winning three and drawing two of the other five.
- The Tykes have lost each of their last three season-opening games and have won just one of their last nine season openers in the second tier.
- Barnsley finished 2015-16 unbeaten in eight away league games. They’ve not been on a longer such run since going unbeaten in 10 in November 1996.