Each week, a leading musician takes our Starting XI Q&A. This week, it’s Primal Scream’s Martin Duffy…
1) Who would be the most rock ‘n’ roll signing your club could make?
In a rock’n’roll universe… Bring back Robin Friday – he just didn’t care, just like George Best. He’d be up half the night, then turn up and play a corker.
2) If your club was a song or a lyric, what would it be?
‘Down Down’ by Status Quo, because I can’t see any escape for the Villa right now!
3) Which football stadium would you most like to play a gig at (that’s not your club’s home ground)?
Nou Camp – it’s an amazing stadium, brilliant atmosphere, everything about it. It doesn’t get much better than that. And easy to get a private jet home from.
4) Which footballer has the most potential to be a rock star?
Mario Balotelli – he’s bonkers. You never know what you’re going to get with him.
5) Brit award or Premier League trophy?
I’d take Premier League survival, then the Premier League trophy over the Brits.
6) When you were a kid, which football and music posters did you have on your wall?
Two blondes… Gary Shaw and Debbie Harry. Gary Shaw was a brilliant player [for Villa] and she was the best around at that time.
7) Elvis was the king of rock ‘n’ roll, Michael Jackson the king of pop… Who’s the king of football?
In the past George Best….Faultless. He could do anything. The miracle man… had the lot. Now, Lionel Messi. It’s amazing that someone that good has managed to keep coming up with the goods. He’s not an egotist. He’s just brilliant.
8) If you were in charge of Villa’s dressing room stereo, what tunes would you put on before a big game and why?
Black Sabbath’s ‘War Pigs’. They’re local lads and it’s a get up and go track. I think they’re all Villa boys, all born in Aston. It’s a ‘get out there and face the opposition’ track.
9) Which signing got you most excited and which player’s departure broke your heart?
Recently, both Benteke. He saved our bacon for two seasons.
10) Which footballer would you refuse complimentary tickets to one of your gigs?
Fabian Delph. He just signed a contract and then he left for the money. What’s he done this season since?
11) What’s the best/worst football song ever recorded?
Best: Aston Villa FC’s ‘We’re Going Up’ – reggae –ish. Good song. The Villains go reggae in 1975. Worst: Too many bad tracks to mention!
Our Football Song: We did a football song with Irvine Welsh for Scotland 1996 – an alternative football song. Check it out.
Primal Scream release their 11th studio album, ‘Chaosmosis’ on March 18. See http://www.primalscream.net