Guidolin staying as Swansea City boss

11 May

Francesco Guidolin


Francesco Guidolin has also coached Udinese, Parma and Monaco

Swansea City have confirmed Francesco Guidolin will remain as head coach after agreeing a two-year contract.

Guidolin, 60, was appointed in January on a six-month contract after Alan Curtis’ temporary spell in charge, with the club in the relegation zone.

The Italian has led them to 11th place – 12 points clear of the bottom three, and they could finish in the top half.

“Francesco fully deserves the chance to continue his good work into the new campaign,” chairman Huw Jenkins said.

“He was prepared to come into the club at such a difficult time and put himself in a pressure situation with the club fighting for survival.

“It’s going to be another challenge for everyone, but we are looking forward to seeing how far he can take this squad of players over a full season.

“There has obviously been a lot of speculation over recent weeks about a possible change of manager, but the board has been impressed with the way he has quietly gone about the job of improving performances and results since January.”

The Italian members of Guidolin’s backroom staff, Gabriele Ambrosetti and Diego Bortoluzzi, have also been offered new contracts.

Swansea celebrations<!–

Swansea’s vital victory over Chelsea was key to their Premier League survival

Swansea – who host Manchester City in their final game on Sunday – won seven matches and drew three of Guidolin’s 15 games in charge.

The former Udinese and Monaco head coach had previously said he wanted to continue in the role but would only discuss his future once Swansea had ensured safety.

Swansea had hovered above the Premier League relegation zone for long periods of the campaign, but the 3-1 win against Liverpool on 1 May ensured a sixth season in the top flight.

In March Guidolin was taken to hospital hours before Swansea’s 2-1 win at Arsenal and also missed the 1-0 win over Norwich after receiving treatment for a chest infection.

Brendan Rodgers<!–

Popular former Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers had been tipped with a return to the Liberty Stadium

Former Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers, ex-Chile manager Marcelo Bielsa and former Derby County manager Paul Clement had all been linked with the job.

Rodgers – who left to manage Liverpool in 2012 – disclosed in January that he had been approached by Swansea to succeed Garry Monk, who was sacked in December.

But the Northern Irishman said that he wanted to take a break from football until the summer.

Americans Steve Kaplan and Jason Levien are in talks about taking a “controlling interest” in the club but chairman Jenkins had said a deal would not affect Swansea’s managerial plans.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No comments yet

Leave a Reply