Fonte ‘flattered’ by United interest

15 Aug

Jose Fonte said he is focused on Southampton but admitted to being ‘flattered’ and ‘happy’ with Manchester United’s reported interest.

Southampton: Fonte 'flattered' by United interestSouthampton: Fonte 'flattered' by United interest

The 32-year-old Portugal international defender and club captain has enjoyed an impressive summer, helping his country win Euro 2016 in France.

His performances have seemingly alerted Red Devils’ boss Jose Mourinho, who is believed to be looking to sign another defender before the summer transfer window closes for business at 11pm on August 31.

Fonte, who joined the Saints in 2010 and has helped the club rise from League One to the top-six of the Premier League is under contract until summer 2018, but he is happy that a club like United has expressed an interest in him.

However, he is not pushing for a move, while boss Claude Puel revealed late last week that he is in no mood to lose one of his influential players now the season is under way.

“If the interest in there, it is a reason to be flattered to be associated with a club like Manchester United,” Fonte told Mais Futebol.

“But I have a contract with Southampton, and I’m just focused on my work, to make a great season.

“I will not deny that Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world and that it makes me happy to be associated with it. But to be Manchester United’s player is a big difference.”

Puel, who replaced Ronald Koeman this summer and has already lost Victor Wanyama and Graziano Pelle in the window, added: “I do not think there is a possibility for Jose to leave us. I am sure that he can play all these games. He is very proficient.”


No comments yet

Leave a Reply