Eriksen deal no issue for Poch

18 Aug

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino insists it is only a matter of time before Christian Eriksen signs a new contract at White Hart Lane.


Tottenham: Eriksen deal no issue for PochTottenham: Eriksen deal no issue for Poch

Eriksen has been in talks with Spurs since March but the Dane is yet to agree an extension to his deal, which has two years left to run.

The midfielder denied reports last weekend that he is demanding £150,000 a week – five times his salary – and Pochettino is confident the player will remain at White Hart Lane.

“The players are sometimes involved in different things but they are very professional,” Pochettino said.

“Christian, we are happy with him, he’s very happy here and we’ll see what happens in the next few weeks.

“Am I confident he’ll stay? He has two years more in his contract, he’s happy here. I think it’s just a question of time for him to agree a new contract.”

Pochettino’s men host Crystal Palace on Saturday but will be without goalkeeper and captain Hugo Lloris, who is expected to be out for around four weeks with a hamstring injury.

Lloris will be replaced by Dutch stopper Michel Vorm but Pochettino is optimistic the Frenchman will return for Tottenham’s first Champions League game on either September 13 or 14.

“I’m confident, it’s not a big issue, it’s a minor injury,” Pochettino said.


“We’ll see what happens but we hope he’ll be available for the Champions League.

“It’s always difficult when your captain is not on the pitch. We trust in Michel – he was doing well during pre-season.

“He played a lot of friendlies. He’s ready to compete. He has a lot of experience in the Premier League and is an international. There is no doubt about his quality.”

Lloris’ injury calls into question Pochettino’s decision to select the 29-year-old, who played all seven of France’s matches en route to the Euro 2016 final. France’s defeat to Portugal came 34 days before the game at Goodison Park.

“If you remember, it’s an action not normal for the keeper to leave his position and run a lot,” Pochettino said.

“It was an accident that sometimes happens in football. It is nothing related with the Euros. It was only an accident.”

Tottenham remain in talks with Marseille over winger Georges-Kevin Nkoudou after the transfer stalled following the resignation of the French club’s president Vincent Labrune last month.

Marseille wanted Clinton Njie to move in the opposite direction but Pochettino says the forward is still in his plans. Nabil Bentaleb, however, continues to train with the under-21s and has been told to find a new club.

“They are still our players,” Pochettino said. “I was clear about Bentaleb, he’s not in my plans, but Clinton is in my squad and he’s in my plans.”

Mousa Dembele remains suspended for the visit of Palace but Son Heung-min could feature after returning from the Olympic Games. The forward’s fitness will be assessed on Friday.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No comments yet

Leave a Reply