Chelsea striker Diego Costa is unlikely to face disciplinary action for his alleged ‘bite’ on Everton midfielder Gareth Barry during Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final defeat.
The controversial Spaniard found himself at the centre of a fresh storm this weekend after television cameras caught Costa nuzzling his mouth into Barry’s neck in the closing stages of Everton’s 2-0 win at Goodison Park
It looked as if the Blues bad boy was prepared the England international, but Barry confirmed on Sunday evening that he was NOT bitten by Costa.
“Seen a lot of talk about the incident between me and Diego Costa in the game last night,” Barry said on social media.
“For the record, Diego did not bite me.”
Costa, who appeared to think better of it, was still sent off for a second bookable offence after grappling with the England international.
And while he may escape a ban for his alleged ‘bite’, he will definitely receive a one-game ban for his dismissal, and could face an extra-game ban for refusing the leave the field when he was shown red by referee Michael Oliver.
The Football Association is awaiting Oliver’s report before making a judgement on Costa’s latest misdemeanour, but Barry’s comments will certainly help his case that nothing untoward took place.
Costa will sit out West Ham’s visit to Stamford Bridge on the same day, while Barry, who followed Costa down the tunnel for a second yellow card moments later, will miss Everton’s Premier League home game against Arsenal on Saturday.
Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, who said his player had been “chased” during the game, later joked that he and Costa should go together to watch the film “Anger Management” after a catalogue of incidents since his £32million arrival at Stamford Bridge during the summer of 2014.