Brussels attacks ‘a reminder’ for Euros

22 Mar

Security has been stepped up in Brussels following Tuesday's attacks


Security has been stepped up in Brussels following Tuesday’s attacks

Tuesday’s terror attacks in Belgium are a reminder of the “very high level of security” needed at Euro 2016 this summer, says France’s interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

More than 30 people were killed by the explosions at Brussels airport and a city metro station.

Norwich striker Dieumerci Mbokani, 30, was at the airport and was “unharmed but shaken”, according to his club.

Belgium’s football team cancelled their training session on Tuesday.

They are due to play Portugal in a Euro 2016 warm-up game at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels on 29 March.

The fixture is now in doubt.

Belgium defender Vincent Kompany, who plays his club football in England for Manchester City, said he was “horrified and revolted” by the attacks, tweeting that “innocent people were paying the price again”.

International team-mate Christian Benteke, who plays for Liverpool, said his thoughts were with family and friends of the victims.

It is thought DR Congo player Mbokani was at the airport in order to fly to Kinshasa to join up with his international team-mates,

DR Congo are due to play Angola in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifying double-header on Saturday and next Tuesday.

“The thoughts of everyone at Norwich City are with the victims of the atrocities in Belgium today and their relatives,” read a club statement.

More about the attacks

It is less than three months until Euro 2016 starts in France.

The tournament will feature 24 teams, playing 51 matches at 10 venues across the country from 10 June until 10 July.

France has already been targeted by terrorists.

On 13 November last year, 130 people were killed in Paris.

Debris on the floor<!–

Media playback is not supported on this device

Debris litters the floor of Brussels airport after two explosions hit the building

Suicide bombers struck near the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, followed by suicide bombings and mass shootings at cafés, restaurants and a music venue.

The attack on the Stade de France took place during France’s friendly with Germany, with radio and television teams inside the venue capturing the noise of the bombs going off outside.

Following the game, the German players slept in the stadium to ensure they remained safe before travelling home.

Uefa, European football’s governing body, said it will continue to “monitor the level of risk for the tournament” and its organisational plans, adding it will take “all necessary measures” to “guarantee a safe and secure tournament”.

Cazeneuve added: “The events in Brussels remind us of the very high level of security which is necessary to ensure Euro 2016 is successful.

“Euro 2016 should be a celebration but collective security is an obligation for everyone alongside the government.”

People in Brussels and surrounding areas have been told to avoid rail stations, airports, shopping centres, concerts and other public events.

But organisers of the Dwars Door Vlaanderen say the one-day cycling race will proceed as scheduled on Wednesday.

A statement on the race’s website read: “Dwars door Vlaanderen will take place. The organisers mourn with the victims of these terrible acts.”

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No comments yet

Leave a Reply