Borussia Dortmund have been charged by UEFA after 17 Tottenham fans were injured in a crush before last week’s Europa League first leg.
Fans were hurt as they struggled to enter the Westfalenstadion before the last 16 game and UEFA has now opened disciplinary proceedings against the German club.
UEFA’s control, ethics and disciplinary body has charged Dortmund with blocking stairways at the ground, which would breach Article 38 of the safety and security regulations. The case will be heard on May 19.
Spurs fans were treated with injuries caused by police pepper spray while another reportedly had to be carried away on a stretcher.
The congestion developed as supporters were redirected towards a different entrance into the stadium shortly before kick-off.
Martin Cloake, co-chairman of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, told Press Association Sport: ”I’ve been going to football since the late 70s and it’s one of the worst experiences I’ve had to get into a ground.
”I was very surprised because you expect it to be well organised. It’s one of the largest stadiums in Europe.”
A Tottenham spokesman said: ”The misdirection of our fans by police along with the closing of turnstiles created a potentially dangerous situation. The use of pepper sprays was completely unnecessary and unacceptable.”
Dortmund Police said the late arrival of Spurs fans had created unexpected pressure on the entrances, which had to be temporarily closed.
A statement read: ”In order to prevent an uncontrolled entrance of the followers of Tottenham, pepper spray and baton was used by the police, in which 17 English supporters were slightly injured due to eye irritation.
”Furthermore, a police officer and five employees of the security service were wounded in the course of these measures.”
Tottenham lost the last 16 match 3-0, with the second leg to be played at White Hart Lane on Thursday.