- How to follow:
- BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Birmingham City start the season at home to Cardiff City without striker Nicolai Brock-Madsen, who is away on Olympic Games duty with Denmark.
He is the only player unavailable for boss Gary Rowett, who can include his two summer signings, former loanees Robert Tesche and Ryan Shotton, who have completed permanent moves.
Cardiff have both new men Jazz Richards and Frederic Gounongbe set for debuts.
Sean Morrison is pushing for a place despite missing most of pre-season.
Following ankle surgery in May, the centre-back did not return until last weekend, when he played the opening 45 minutes of the 1-0 defeat to Premier League side Bournemouth.
Lex Immers is also expected to start after making his loan stay from Feyenoord permanent.
BBC WM’s Mike Taylor:
“Compared to all their fellow Chinese-owned neighbours, Birmingham City have had a relatively settled summer, starting the season with the same manager, mostly the same players, and the same owners – although probably not for much longer.
“Clearly Gary Rowett wants some new players in. He’s fairly confident that some will come before the end of the month, but is also happy to wait for the right ones rather than take an early punt for the sake of it.
“Today’s announcements in Hong Kong suggest that the new owners should be in place by the autumn, with some transfer funds available in January. If Rowett can keep his current squad in contention until then, Blues could be an attractive prospect.”
- Birmingham City have not won at home in six matches, since beating promoted Hull City on 3 March – and, in the last five of those, they conceded two goals each time.
- Cardiff City lost their last three away games in the 2015-16 season – and have not lost four successive Championship away games since January 2011.
- Blues’ 2-1 win at home to Reading a year ago was their first opening-day victory in seven seasons.
- The Bluebirds have won just once in 15 league visits to St Andrew’s – a 1-0 victory in January 2013.
- There have been just seven goals scored in the last six meetings between these two sides at St Andrew’s.