Club Atlético de Madrid will look to maintain their flying start at the top of Group D when they visit UEFA Champions League newcomers FC Rostov.
• Ivan Daniliants’ team are still seeking a first victory in the UEFA Champions League group stage after opening their campaign with a 5-0 defeat at FC Bayern München and a 2-2 home draw with PSV Eindhoven.
• With their draw against PSV, Rostov made it three games unbeaten at home in Europe this term. They faced RSC Anderlecht (2-2) and AFC Ajax (4-1) in qualifying.
• Rostov are hosting Spanish opposition for the first time. Overall, this is the ninth European home game in their history, including their 1999 and 2000 UEFA Intertoto Cup campaigns (W2 D3 L3).
Atlético de Madrid
• Last season’s runners-up Atlético are top of Group D after 1-0 victories over PSV Eindhoven (away) and Bayern (home).
• With victory in Russia, Atleti would start the group stage with three straight wins for only the second time; in 2013/14 they began with four in a row.
• Atlético are unbeaten in four previous visits to Russia (W2 D2).
• Their most recent encounter with Russian opposition came in the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League group stage, when they took four points off FC Zenit (3-1 h, 1-1 a).
Coach and player links
• Diego Simeone scored an 88th-minute equaliser in Moscow to earn FC Internazionale Milano a 1-1 draw at FC Spartak Moskva in the 1998/99 UEFA Champions League group stage. He had previously won 2-1 at Spartak with Inter in a 1997/98 UEFA Cup semi-final second-leg tie.
• César Navas made 114 appearances for Real Madrid CF’s second team, Castilla, between 1999 and 2003. His final season coincided with Juanfran’s first.
• Navas also had spells in Spain with Málaga CF, Club Gimnàstic and Real Racing Club and faced Atlético five times (W1 L4). He was sent off the last time, a 4-1 away defeat with Racing in November 2008.
• Saeid Ezatolahi made five appearance for Atlético’s C team in 2014/15.
• Cristian Noboa was in the FC Rubin side who earned a shock 2-1 win at FC Barcelona on 20 October 2009 in the UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Kevin Gameiro came off the bench to hit Sevilla FC’s 85th-minute equaliser in a 2-2 second-leg draw at Zenit in the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League quarter-finals (agg 4-3).
• Fernando Torres struck three goals for Chelsea FC in their 5-4 aggregate quarter-final victory over Rubin in the 2012/13 UEFA Europa League.
• Stefan Savić lost 2-0 in Russia with Montenegro in a UEFA EURO 2016 qualifier last October.