- How to follow:
- Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Aston Villa are out to improve on their finishing after dominating Sunday’s 2-2 draw at home to Nottingham Forest.
Former Walsall boss Dean Smith returns to the West Midlands with Brentford to face the team he supported as a boy.
Defender Rico Henry is out after shoulder surgery, so Andreas Bjelland could fill in at left-back and make his first league start for the Bees.
Defender Callum Elder (gashed knee) is a doubt but forward Lasse Vibe may return after a one-match suspension.
Brentford head coach Dean Smith told BBC Radio London: “It is a game we are all looking forward to on the back of the performance at Brighton on Saturday.
“Villa’s expectations are to get straight back to the Premier League but they had a terrible season last year by their standards.
“They have had a big turnaround and I’m not sure that confidence is fully back yet.
“Hopefully it is the right time for us to meet them but they played very well against Nottingham Forest and deserved to win.”
- Since the start of the 2013-14 season, Villa’s Ross McCormack has scored more Championship goals than any other player (68).
- McCormack has created more goalscoring chances than any other Championship player this season so far (25).
- Brentford striker Scott Hogan has scored 10 goals in his last 10 league games for the club.
- Rudy Gestede has scored nine goals in his last nine Championship appearances (three for Villa, six for Blackburn).
- Villa have never lost in eight meetings with Brentford in all competitions, although this is their first meeting since an FA Cup tie in February 1953.
- Brentford have conceded at least twice in each of their six league meetings with Villa, shipping 20 goals in total.